Monday, September 5, 2016

Do you like beer?


Per a study reviewed in class today, 2% of Thai university women get the recommended physical activity each day. I have been struggling to come to terms with this rate. When I walked up to practice today, there were 30 girls at the field. The girls were singing faculty songs and chatting with one another. Once practice began, they became the water girls. They were so kind and seemed incredibly happy, but why were they not on the field? Is women's participation in sports still a taboo here (especially contact sports)? Who actually enjoys pouring and delivering water to sweaty men? If there was a women's rugby team, would men be water boys? I don't think so. I'm bothered that 98% of university women are not getting enough exercise and I'm saddened that there is no action to change it. I hope by the end of my time in Thailand that there can be movement to create a women's rugby team. Even just one more girl on the pitch is a step toward increasing that 2%. It could be a catalyst to greater female empowerment.

And now, a more silly chronicle of today's experiences:

Each time I walk up to the pitch I feel like I'm going to soil my pants. And each time I lace up my boots, I feel like I'm at a nail salon. I know these men are talking about me, but I have no idea what they are saying. So what's to do other than smile and then prove them wrong on the pitch. There were two teams on the pitch today. I had no idea who I should play with, so I started with those that looked more inviting. We passed in a circle for a bit and then they said "thank you". I took that as my cue to leave. So, I hopped to the next set of men. They too thought I was nuts, but they liked my rugby ball so they let me play. These guys were the faculty of engineering. They were more equipped in the rugby world than the humanities men, but struggled more with English.

First, we warmed up with 5 laps of Indian Run's around the pitch. Oh boy, did I feel at home. One of my friends, who I call Ted, started to talk to me. The first question he asked on the jog was "Do you like beer?". It seems these boys know the first thing about rugby. Now I'm excited to teach them some rugby songs ;)

Next they ran a drill with kick off returns. They wanted to target me to see if I could catch. They anxiously awaited the test of my abilities, uncertain of the skills I may bring. I caught all three balls. After each catch, the boys and water girls would scream "AHHH AMMMMERRRICA". Again, I had gained my respect on the field. Many of the drills they did at practice were similar to the drills at Tulane. It was very welcoming. There was one drill which was more or less a continuous 2 on 3 drill, but these guys could not pick up on what to do. Everyone was screaming and laughing in Thai. It reminded me of the first time we ever did truck and trailer and we all threw a total fit--or that time Matt said do-do (S/o to Kayla for maintaining composure...not). It was a hilarious wreck. This was just more entertaining to watch because I had no idea what words they were speaking, but I knew everything they were trying to convey. It was one of those beautiful moments of universal understanding and compassion.

Finally, they stopped running drills and began a game of touch. After about two possessions, Ted came up to me and said "Hay, we play touch for fun. Not experts. It is fun, do not be so serious". For those NOLA touch players reading this, you have all trained me to take touch too seriously. Although I did not have the physical presence of Ormsby to give me the disappointed look for each poorly executed running line, I still felt the disappointment. But of course, there were the beautiful lines which made up of the prior. By the end of touch, I tried my hardest to emulate those laughing around me. Instead of getting angry at mistakes, I giggled. It was probably the most bizarre sounding giggle on earth. A giggle with undertones of extreme frustration and a poorly executed bubbly facade. Let's be honest, it probably sounded like I was making fart noises.

I had so much fun with the guys today. As I was leaving, they all added me on Facebook. Hi guys, if you're reading this!!! Then told me to come to practice at 5am tomorrow. That will not be happening, ever. But, I will keep going in the afternoons. Day after day, I am amazed by the rugby community. Internationally, each rugby player is kind, welcoming, and looking to further the sport. I'm thankful for the guys at KKU that treat me like an equal and the opportunity to play the sport I love on foreign soil.


No comments:

Post a Comment